Monday, October 8, 2007

Remaining Hopeful in a World Without Hope

It's a helluva headline, I know, but I was shocked this morning to read a report that George Monbiot, author of Heat, a superb book on climate change, has changed his mind. And the worst part of it is that having bought George's book, I hadn't even finished it before it became irrelevant!

You see, George wrote his book - and I was attracted to it because - it said that it was possible - just - to beat climate change. george is a journalist with the Guardian in the UK, but now he has attended a new climate change summit and he says latest research says our ice caps are going down like an icecream on a summer day. Not only that, it says the essential underpinning deep ice is melting first, creating the real inevitabilty of a massive onetime Tunami-like sea rise. He quoted research of the last time this happened in history; seas rose 25 meters, meaning 60% of the world's people would be homeless.

I dont know what you do to 'manage' these sorts of predictions. It seems that it's all happening too fast for a real solid new strategic philosophy to get a grip on any reasonable proportion of the population. I'd love your thoughts.

One thing is for sure; I'm not buying another climate change book; it changes too fast!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we are a bit full of ourselves if we think that we control the climate, it has remained relatively stable for so long. Sure it will change, it is cyclical, but more water means more evaporation, which leads to rain, which then cools things down.
There is no conclusive evidence that humans have affected the climate - it's a bit like bird flu, we should just concentrate on doing the best we can for ourselves and the area around us.

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to just simply disagree with you. Perhaps it's my New Scientist subscription that has me ensnared in all of these facts. I wish I didn't have to diagree because I'd LOVE to be able to see climate chage as a simple cyclical occurrence, but I can't. Let's all hope you are right!

PS: Perhaps if I cancel my subscription that will halt the cycle.

frederick said...

Well Ian, as you say "How does one manage a prediction like this". My suggestion is to go to the following link- http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=-27.8390,138.1640&z=13&m=7
and check out Byron Bay at 14m sea level rise. Then try to imagine a 23m rise.
The only suggestion is to move inland to Possum Creek and become self-sufficient, because the infrastructure will be gone.
We have installed a year food supply store, Solar power and water tanks. After doing all that we have just got on with our normal everyday life.