Monday, November 5, 2007

Kool Edu-Toys For Indian Kids

I well remember the hours and hours of pleasure I recieved from my parent's gift of a 'toy' microscope. I also remember vividly the images of fly's wings, dog fur and various spiders. It opened my eyes to the weornderful world of microcosmia.

So it's wonderful to hear of the non-profit group in India called Jodo Gyan who actually give these wooden based microscopes to Indian school kids for free.


"Indian children are not getting to experience all the joy and wonder of science because there is too much emphasis on the memorization and repetition of concepts," says Usha Menon, a government researcher who founded Jodo Gyan in 1999. "Hundreds of thousands of children are learning without understanding anything." Priced at 150 rupees (roughly $4), the microscope is just one of the educational tools created by Jodo Gyan, literally translated as 'linking knowledge'.

More info about this wonderful project here

No comments: