Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I've had some great email responses to my post about how to get cancer, including:

"Hey Ian! That's not fair! You make everyone who's had cancer look like a beer swilling, fried chip guzzling couch potato! I've had my BC scare and it was all the more difficult to reconcile because I've always been a healthy (organic wherever possible) eater, fit and outdoorsy with no chemical vices like alcohol or cigarettes.

Sure many of the people with whom I shared Oncologist's waiting rooms fitted your criteria, but many didn't. I think the message is that the factors influencing our susceptibility for cancer are so embedded in our agricultural, food processing and storage (and career employment) systems that it's very hard to avoid!

Cleaning up my act post-cancer has been a full time job and NOT conducive to regular employment, family responsibility or financial security!
Give us a break!"

I hear you, my friend, I hear you! In fact even though the points I used came from New Scientist and were therefore scientifically valid in relation to the massive amounts of research into prehistory of cancer victims, the fact remains that we are all living to the best of our ability in a cancerous world with more toxins than we could possibly imagine! So we see all too often stories like yours.

In a past incarnation (age 24) I was a hang glider designer and maker.

I often wonder about my practice of using a grinding wheel to shape PVC battens for the sails. My innocent young body was enveloped in a cloud of the stuff! Sure, like you, I've lived cleanly for many years but the thought is still there. I guess for me it's now a matter of keeping my immunity levels as high as Iam capable, becasue the facts are (if I care to read the statistics) 2 out of 3 mern of my age will die of the nasty disease. Living clean is what we can all do, notwithstanding our sins of innocence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ian. I had to comment!! Cancer is not a nasty disease, but the body telling us that we need to make changes in our lives and thinking. Cancer is a wake up call,and thank goodness our bodies do that for us. Also, when talking about the causes of cancer, many miss out the fact that our emotions and thoughts in conjunction with an acid body,play a large part in causing the malfunction. Introspection is essential when looking at why the cancer, how to return to a balanced body/mind, and how to make sure that it won't recur.

Regards

Margaret

Alkababy said...

Hi, Margaret, I understand and appreciate your commensta bout the purpose of cancer. Unfortunately in my role as carer of terminally ill people, the things I have seen tell me it's a nasty way to go.
Two views, both valid.