Thursday, October 16, 2008

Your Real Age vs. Your Biological Age

Robyn Backhouse, our wonderful Western Australian distributor, really understood the effects of alkalizing and detox when she underwent an online 'Biological Age' Survey. Robyn said:

"I decided to take the test to show me how ‘old’ I really was. For a 54 year old woman, the results would be very revealing. I was quite delighted when my tests revealed my biological age as being 44 when I was actually 54!! However, I still felt my general health and energy levels had room for improvement. More significantly, I had suffered from bladder problems and urinary tract infections for over 30 years that had been a cause of constant irritation. I never imagined that when I next took the test it would show that my biological age was only 29!"

I'm now 62 and people are surprised to learn my age, thinking I am much younger. I attribute it to my alkalinizing program of the last eight years. I actually have an old photo and Cassie tells me that in the old photo I look older ten years ago.. albeit with a bit more hair!

That's why this article rang bells in my head. We know now that the two supreme alkalinizing methods are water and air. Air, of course, is so often underestimated, but the process of breathing isn't just to get oxygen into the lungs; it's also to break down carbonic acid into CO2 and harmless salts. Yet even though many of us go to gym, walk, or perform other aerobic functions, we've never really looked at the lungs as a way to alkalinize. I've said before that if you want a good example of an 'Alkalarian' you need look no farther than the Dalai Lama, who meditates daily. Meditation, for those who don't know, can also be a wonderful breathing practice.

The article talks about the practice of doctors informing smoking clients of their 'lung age'. From studies, it was found that smokers told their lung age. Now we all know that smoking ios addictive, so we have come to understand that smokers will as like as not, NOT give up. But here's the results:
Of those who were not told their lung age 6.4 percent were no longer smoking, and 13.6 percent of those who knew their lung age had quit. So telling them of their lung age more than doubled their chances of quitting!

In my own case, I carry a dark secret. In my misspent but highly enjoyable youth, I was a hang glider flier, tester and manufacturer.

Part of the manufacturing process was the shaping of PVC battens for the hang glider's sail - with an angle grinder. Being young and invincible, I didn't bother with things like a mouth guard, breathing in lungfuls of carcinogenic PVC dust. Today I am paying for it with a reduced lung capacity, which doesn't seem to improve even though Cassie and I get up at 5:30, meditate, and then attack the Cape Byron Walking Track, a 5k, 400' climb. So I'm testing out an amazing little device called the Powerlung, which is basically a breath control device that puts my lungs through their own isometric workout. I have the breath into it ten breaths, three times a day. But get this: the reason I was attracted to it was a study carried out here in Australia of a group of 59 year old females for just two months. Their lung 'age' reduced from 59 to.. wait for it... 39!

So.. I'll keep you updated on how my performance goes on the Powerlung. The nice thing about it is that it is calibrated, so you will be able to measure your own improvement by your ability to 'push and pull' breath in and out.


Another great article on lung/age effect.

No comments: