Monday, July 23, 2007

Eat Your Greens, Dude!

When I was a kid I was forced to eat Brussels sprouts by my Dad. He did the 'Popeye' thing, but combined with my dear old Mum's predisposition for pressure cooking the bejabbers out of all of our vegies, it wasn't hard to mount a strong defence against my 'daily greens'.

Telling kids they will be big and strong may work awhile, but kids know what they like. Today, the need for green is more clear. Low intake of greens is now proven to be the cause of 19% of gastrointestinal cancers worldwide, 31% of coronary heart disease, and 11% of strokes.

Now reserachers and child psychologists seem to have collaborated because the recommended strategy now is to give kids a small amounts rather than whole serves. A new UK program called Food Dudes exploits 3 human foibles. Apparently exposing people to small amounts of an unfamiliar food increases their fondness for it. Kids also love to copy older kids, and they love reward, so the program gives taste stickers or badges and kide get to watch videos of superheroes eating greens. (Not Popeye, I guess!)

But guess where they found this technique? Fast food marketers have used it for years, creating a culture where kids must have the 'right' food in their luch boxes.

I wish I had been a Food Dude when I was a kid. Frankly, my Dad's default strategy of grabbing me and forcing it down my throat wasn't all that science-based.

Luckily, we have so many ways to alkalize today, and I have actually come to love greens. Cassie and I have a breakfast now of organic virgin coco oil stirfried greens with two oragnic free range eggs stirred in. Yum!

No comments: