Thursday, November 5, 2009

Michael J. Fox and the benefits of disease

In my position here I speak to many, many people with serious disease, and so I am constantly seeing attitudes of 'management' of their condition.

Frankly, the way people respond to serious disease seem to align quite well o Elizabeth Kubler-Ross' states of grief (bargaining, anger, denial, depression and acceptance). Michael seems a wonderful benchmark for the acceptance phase, evidenced to me by a comment he made to Dr. Oz on Oprah.

Perhaps I don't have it word perfect.. but he said something like "The good thing about Parkinson's is that you soon give up vanity."

It got me thinking; what are the pointers in the disease process that allow us to move through the stages of grief to acceptance? And to what degree does vanity, ego, self-image affect our ability to come to terms, accept and emotionally move on?

Love to hear your responses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like Michael J Fox my mum suffered the relentless ravages of parkinson's disease. There were times of deep depression, bitter tears and grief for her and those closest to her but she had a solid bedrock of faith that saw her through & the most delicious sense of humour. As her body became more frail and communication became more limited her beautiful eyes communicated to us...she shone with happiness at seeing us and her eyes would swim to see us go...she had such enormous courage. She lived life right to the last... I wish I had known back when she first became ill about Alkalising & feeding the body its basic nutrients...perhaps she would be still with us if I had. I sure miss that cheeky grin, her chuckly voice and those incredibly lovely eyes...