Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Keeping on top of Drugs

It's hard enough remembering the names of the 'recreational' drugs on the street today, so how are we expected to discuss them on an equal basis with our pre-adults? I well remember my son 'lecturing' me on whathe believed I didn't know about drugs. I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd heard it twenty years ago.

It was, I suppose, a way of telling me to butt out, but it was also an Oedipean response in that he was contesting his position in the family - as all young men do with their fathers. A healthy response... an unhealthy subject.

But.. kids DO know more than us and they do look at us with a form of cynicism. So when we talk about drugs I am always looking for what I call 'the side door'; a way of discussion where he accepts that I at least know a bit more than most parents.. so this site is quite handy.

Just telling a kid that drugs are bad for them is a sure way of saying goodbye to a meaningful on-going dialogue, so education - ours, not theirs - is, I believe, all-important. This site assists with some well-presented yet comprehensive learning tools about the newer substances our kids are being presented.
Learn more here

No comments: