Friday, December 3, 2010

Checking in with my 'Diet to Die For'

So many people have asked me how it is going I felt I should let you know.

As well as remaining on my low-to-no-carb diet along with Cassie, I've been reading some wonderful stuff on the whole carb question. I'm particularly impressed with Life Without Bread by Christian B. Allan PhD and Wolfgang Lutz, MD, a German doctor who amassed a veritable treasure trove of data from his own practice of recommending low carb diets and seeing the results. 

Cassie has almost finished Gary Taubes' book; Good Calories Bad calories, which she described as a stupendous effort of totally deconstructing the low fat high carb philosophy. 

He points you right at the corrupted research, the false conclusions and the wholesale blind-eye approach to the simple fact that this diet has achieved no real result, while diseases only grow in the people who follow this seemingly sensible food philosophy. 

Everything in his book is referenced, and it is a tour de force. if you really wonder why all of your diet efforts seem to come to nothing, either of these books will blow your mind.

The great thing i am seeing is how our alkaline philosophy works with this. I am eating meat every day. I am eating large amounts of saturated fat. yet I'm not putting on weight, I'm not lacking in energy, my mind is clear, and I have no desire to eat in the way I did when i was into carbs.

Honestly, my last great health revelation was eleven years ago when I found alkalizing. This one is even bigger. I seriously recommend it.

On my daily diet, I begin the day with a sugarless Chai and meditation, then a 5k climb on Cape Byron. For breakfast I have eggs in a stir fry of greens, baby tomatoes and zucchini, plus my coconut oil smoothie consisting of 2 tablespoons of our yummy coco oil with either Kefir or yoghurt plus Core Greens.

Lunch is a garden salad straight from our little patch, with kalamata olives, dried tomato strips, local Feta cheese, split baby tomatoes, red wine vinegar and olive oil.

Dinner is anything from fresh local fish, (Mahi Mahi is my favourite) grass fed local steak, organic chicken, leg of lamb cooked in our Romantoff, with more greens, beans, squash... hardly a hard diet. I'll finish off with another coco oil smoothie, this time with a few local blueberries added for colour and flavour.


So as you see, I'm not actually suffering. Life is suddenly even better. 

To give you an idea about what's happening in more progressive countries, I have the address of a doctor in Sweden who singlehandedly persuaded the government there to recommend low carb high fat diet for obesity. You'll need Google translator for her site. It's easier if you look for it in Google Chrome because it's easy to access Google Translator there, but it's worth the trouble! Here is her address.


Lastly here's a little tip from Cassie.
If you toss and turn a lot or suffer from twitching legs in bed, it's magnesium deficiency. If you take a good dose of magnesium but still have the symptoms, take a look at your coffee and alcohol intake between dinner and bed. These will both pull magnesium out of your muscles into your bloodstream and you'll most likely eliminate it before you sleep.


No comments: