Friday, February 11, 2011

Acidity and Alzheimers'.

I know I bang on about acidity. Forgive me. But you know how when you are 'into' something, even a new car, you see them everywhere? It's the same with me. I see cause and effect everywhere relating to acidity, just because I'm 'into' acid/alkaline balance.

As you all know, I've had a quite miraculous effect from a 'good' acid in the form of coconut oil for my incipient Alzheimers', which seems to go against acid/alkaline balance theory in a purist form.

Many people still call me up asking whether caperberries, or veal parmigiana is too acid. The actuality is that we need acids. Acids carry energy. They feed the internal fire. So I am always trying to talk about balance rather than exclusion.

When I saw this article on the effect of sugar on the brain, I remembered Cassie telling me that she felt far sharper now she was off sugar and on her low carb diet. Me too; no doubt about it.

Now I know that some people are still chewing over the concept that fat can be good for you and that carbs including sugar are the cause of most problems, but try looking at it another way. Your car needs water, oil and petrol. Too much, or bad quality oil glugs up the motor, too little petrol or the wrong octane rating has its own consequence, and no water ruins it immediately. But what I'm trying to say is that the three components NEED each other, they are symbiotic in function but danger lies in upset of the correct ratios. It's my belief that sugar and excess carbs has profoundly upset our internal balance - not just in acid/alkaline terms, but in blood glucose ratios, excess insulin levels, suppression of the ketone system (this is what kicks in and gave me my blessed relief from my memory loss) and God knows what else. The post I put up here a couple of days ago from a lady who went on the Low carb candida diet is spectacular to say the least, with effects claimed that are seemingly impossible.

By the way, the article sells supplements. That's not where I'm coming from on this question. I'm identifying the factors - life factors - that keep us out of balance. Certainly, over the last decade I have seen the positive effects of mending people's excessive acidity, but as you'll see, there is so much more to this philosophy.

There are good alkaline foods.. and I'm sure that there are bad alkaline foods. There are bad acid foods, and there are good acid foods. Only by remaining clear about our knowledge quest can we begin to benefit. The quest isn't for a quick fix. It's for whole health, and some of the things that will come up through my raves will challenge your personal health paradigms.

No comments: