Friday, June 26, 2009

Salads get a pasting.

'Which" is a UK magazine rather like the Australian Choice mag. It looks at whether consumer goods measure up to their health cliams.

Which? has found that the average pre-prepared salad sold in UK supermarkets is almost as loaded with calories and fat as a burger – largely because of their dressings.

Health-conscious office-workers may plump for salads over sandwiches, which are perceived to be more calorific. But the survey of 20 pre-prepared salads in the UK found the average had 412 calories and 20.3 fat.

By contrast, a Big Mac has 490 calories and 24 grams of fat.

"Many of the salads we looked at were surprisingly high in calories and fat,” said editor Martyn Hocking. “Mainly this was because they had mayonnaise or creamy sauces. The ingredient lists showed these were often added generously."

Which brings me to my latest visit to the Golden Arches.
I admit it: if I'm on the road in a strange town and I feel like a coffee, the McCafe concept gets me a good cup of 'Joe' to the same standard every time. And having drunk Joe, I leave.

However last time I noticed their latest 'health' product. Slices of apple! Oh! What a lovely idea! Good fresh fruit! ...in a sealed prepacked plastic bag... Does this mean they don't even trust their staff to cut up an apple?


No comments: