Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Plastic Ocean

This youtube clip was sent to me by a very happy client who recently received one of our new stainless steel water bottles. She was dismayed by the images of the seabirds especially. The burden we place on the earth by our use of disposable plastic is simply too heavy, and yes, I know, the temptation is to say 'Well, what can I do about it? How could one person possibly make a difference?'



Well, check out these statistics.

Americans purchase over 30,000,000,000 plastic bottles of water per year.
Less than 14% are recycled.
26,000,000,000 bottles ended up in lanfill where they will take up to 400 to 1000 years to degrade.
Those that are burned emit chlorine and heavy metals into the air.
16,500,000,000,000 gallons of water were wasted in the manufacture of plastic bottles.
17,000.000 barrels of crude oil were used in the process.
2,500,000 tons of carbon dioxide was emitted during manufacture.

The answer won't lie in telling the bottlers to stop. It will come from a personal and collective change of , linked with a plan of personal action. When I fill up my own Alkaway bottle, I know I'm involved. I know I am assisting with the solution, rather than the problem. And every time I refill it, I congratulate myself of one less bottle being produced and sold and consumed and dumped.

1 comment:

forzoli said...

Would stainless steel reduce the ORP of the water?
Thanks,